Tarmac patch repairs and asphalt patch repairs are both commonly used in the construction industry.
• To carry out patch repairs, the area has to be cleaned back.
• The joints need to be made square with the opening being broken back to an edge. This will not only create a clean edge, but will also be broken back so that the edge is firm and is good order.
• The area should be primed and the tarmac overlaid with additional thickness being applied.
• Then the area is to be either tamped or rolled flat with worm tarmac. Once this has semi-cured water can be applied to accelerate the firming or drying time.
• Then a bitumen 20mm joint seal is to be poured over the perimeter joints, once cured this will last years. (It is important to keep perimeter joints in good order as within car park areas these can be a health and safety issue due to being a trip hazard).
Mastic asphalt can also be used for patch repairs. The only difference to the above process is the use of mastic asphalt. The benefit of this is asphalt is waterproof. This will eradicate the problem tarmac patch repairs encounter during the freeze to thaw process. This causes the underside of the tarmac to be attacked and result is the surface breaks apart. With asphalt this does not happen.
For car park repairs especially top deck areas, mastic asphalt patch repairs are a lot more suitable. Asphalt can tolerate greater movement and can withstand the weight of pedestrians and vehicles if granite is added to the compound.
Both tarmac patch repair and asphalt patch repair systems have their own strength and weaknesses. But as overall finish systems they are both extremely hard to beat.
For more interesting information about mastic asphalt please read more of our blog posts. An index of all our blog posts covering all aspects of asphalt can be found by clicking on the following link: Mastic Asphalt Blog.
“I found Heritage Asphalt by accident on the Internet. It was a video about asphalting steps. I called Ryun who was very professional and had a great deal of experience and knowledge. The job was booked in straightaway and a team set about taking off old asphalt rebuilding and repairing the big Victorian staircase and then asphalting. The finish was quite amazing, these guys are very skillful at what they do and My husband and I were delighted. They were a professional team really hard working and highly recommend them.” Customer in London
“First class job - very polite. Couldn't have chosen better - highly recommend this company. Thank you.” Mrs Susan Knight
“Perfect service. Will happy use them again if required to.” Trevor Trim
“This company goes 'the extra mile' in both workmanship, customer satisfaction and consideration.” Mrs A Lighterness
“Ryan and team arrived, late afternoon, as agreed, to review balcony, approx. 25m2, 3 sides fed by tiled roof and one long length hand-rail. Problem, 3 leaks in different places from 10yr old asphalt roof. We discussed the problem and Ryun suggested a choice of two plan of action. We found his quotation very acceptable. This work was completed as agreed, in only a few days, to our complete satisfaction. Eight months after completion, I can now report that after a very wet winter, the roof is in a sound state. An excellent job done.” Customer in Cambridge